June is the month when Mark and I show our appreciation of the members of the River City Whisky Society by holding a “high dollar” night. Each bottle costs slightly higher than what we normally have. And when I say “slightly higher” I mean a lot higher! This gives us the opportunity to taste things were would usually not be exposed too.
Additionally we gave away a number of items to include four humidors.
We had 33 members attend and it was a great evening. We worked with Bill (member #33) and his expertise to choose five of the seven offerings. Mark and I selected one of the seven and Chad (member #55) brought one back from his recent trip to Scotland. We ended up tasting six single malt scotches and one bourbon. Several to the bottles can no longer be purchased (other than from individual owners) and one, the Glenfarclas 15, is not available in the United States.
We, as usual, ranked them from our least favorite to our most favorite. But because these are all exceptional drams I recommend concentrating on the member’s comments rather than their place in the order.
7. JURA 21 YEARS OLD ($150): Good color, Fresh fruit scent, Rich taste, Heavy taste, Taste of oatmeal and raisins, Mild and smooth, Slight Peat, Short finish.
6. HILLROCK SOLERA AGED BOURBON ($90): Taste of caramel, Leathery taste, Oaky taste, Easy drinking – no bite, Smokey, Beautiful balance, Great rye finish, Long finish.
5. GLENFARCLAS 15 YEARS OLD ($75): Fruity flavor, Taste of brown sugar, Very smooth, Vanilla on the back end (no jokes please), Silky, Great clean finish.
4. LOMBARD (BOTTLER) BUNNAHAGHAIN 25 YEARS OLD ($200): Sherry nose, Gets better with each sip, Floral notes, Oily taste, Starts light and gets better, Very smooth, Sweet on the tongue, Just delicious, Short finish.
3. MACALLAN 21 YEARS OLD ($300): Vanilla taste, Sweet, Smooth, Floral like a Highland malt should be, The bourbon cask taste comes through, Orange fruit finish.
2. GLENFARCLAS 1974, SINGLE CASK BOTTLING, 29 YEARS OLD ($500): Beautiful color, Very smooth, Nutty taste, Taste of dried fruits, Sweet and smokey, Very complex flavor, Heavy palate with light finish, Sharp finish.
1. BLACKADDER (BOTTLER) LONGMORN 30 YEARS OLD ($600): Great dark color, Heavy nose with light smoke, Rich taste, Woody, Spicy, Fantastically smooth finish.
Once again, it was a great tasting with a fantastic line-up of whiskies we may never get to try again.
Thank you to all the members of the River City Whisky Society for make this among the best whisky clubs around.